Sunday, May 27, 2012

Home Sweet Home!


Where to begin?  Two days ago the doctors agreed to give Benz the GCSF to bring his neutrophil number up.  They gave it to him when his was 300, keep in mind the normal range is from 5,000 to 25,000.  The day after they gave it to him his number went to 1,300.  They gave it again yesterday and today his number was 5,000 - which is a great improvement.  So, Thursday I left work early because I was worried sick about Benz and Amy, Friday we had what we know now as our last slumber party in the hospital, Saturday we took Beyla to the mall then went back to the hospital, and today found out we would get to come home.  It's just all been such a roller coaster ride.  Sunday(today) was Beyla's day to visit Benz in the hospital.  I drove her up to the hospital at 10:00 am.  When we got there Amy said "look Beyla it's Benzen.  Do you want to take him home...today?"  I couldn't even respond.  I was overjoyed but could not even react to the news.  I was flooded with questions in my mind, I was truly unprepared for this day to come so soon.  After a long discharge and four trips to the car to unload our room of all our belongings and goodie bags (in flip flops), we put both kids in their car seats and headed for home.  The whole way home I would look at Amy and say "I feel like we just broke out of prison or something."  We both just had very weird sensations.  
After we got home we decided to surprise our families.  So that meant I had to put all of our stuff from our hospital room away in about a half hour/hour.  Amy's parents got here first.  I stood and talked with them in the living room and pretended to work on our "broken" video camera until Amy walked out carrying Benzen.  They were shocked and overjoyed.  Then my parents came over and we surprised them in a similar fashion.  Needless to say they were so excited as well.  
Now that we are home we have to give Benz Valganciclovir twice a day for the next 24 days.  We also have to take him to a promedica lab to get a CBC (complete blood count) every couple days and will have several doctor's appointments each week.  His visitors are still limited to immediate family and still no kids.  As soon as the medicine is done Benz would love to meet you all, as long as you wash your hands.  
The power of prayer is so incredible.  I think back to May 2nd.  We got news that was just devastating.  My son, my football player, my wrestler, my track star, my new best friend, and more was most likely going to have many challenges in life.  I wanted so bad to blame God.  But like I said I couldn't.  I was reminded today, that keeping the faith will always pay off.  I hope and know that it will pay off through this whole journey with Benzen.  I remember in my "fathers eyes" post, there was a picture of Benz and I looking each other in the eye and he said to me "ok dad, we got this far.  Whats next?"  Well I got him home.  That was my next goal and I can't believe I was able to achieve my goal almost three weeks early.  I hope that this is how all of our milestones go.  I know that they all won't but I will try my best.  
I feel like people who are released from the NICU are released with a healthy baby.  I feel like we were released and most of our concerns are yet to come.  Don't get me wrong, I am so glad to be home, just worried about how this whole experience is going to play out.  I'd say from my last post about "how do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time"  We have taken one bite of a two ton elephant.  Thank you all so much for all the thoughts and prayers.  Keep them coming because they are working!!
Good Night,
Ben


3 comments:

  1. So beyond happy he's in his home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Little Remer Family! So you are all home, I feel the true journey is about to begin. The picture of the kids in their car seats are precious. I understand the jail break feeling. It's like " where do I go, what do I do?" while you have been actively involved in Benzen's care, someone has initially called the shots, and you have had input. I feel you need our support more than ever and know that you are always on my mind.
    Love,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOZOL TOV. I AM SURE HIS UNCLE AND BUBBIE WERE LOOKING OUT FOR HIM.
    LOVE
    ZAYDIE

    ReplyDelete