Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pray for Neuroplasticity

This is a Picture of Beyla and Benzen face timing each other.  You can tell they love each already.  He is going to be Beyla's personal baby doll.  Benzen is still under the bili lights.  I can't believe it.  They want to make sure it does not go up again.  It is torture having to leave him in his crib that long.  We get to hold him quit a bit but not 24x7 like we want to.  He is slowing morphing from brand new born look into week old new born look.  His face is getting round and cheeks have the inherited chubby look.  In conversation with the nurse he had tonight she mentioned the term neuroplasticity, which is when the brain has abnormalities and other parts of the brain pick up the slack. That might be similar to me being color blind and my sense of smell being heightened, just a guess until I can research it more.  Who knows?  I have heard the brain is a very powerful machine and kids are resilient.  With those two sayings, I am staying positive. 
Exhaustion is starting to set in for me.  So I can't imagine how Amy is feeling.  She has slept at the hospital since May 1st.  I have started coming home at night but that doesn't mean I can sleep any better.  I can help but try and guess what the time will tell will be that everybody is telling me.  I sit up wondering how severely he will be impacted.  I know I will drive my self crazy but I can help it. We are starting to get some kind of routine going it seems.  I think Amy is getting to see Beyla more that she thought she was going to get to when we first heard we were heading to the NICU for 6 weeks. 
The love and support keeps flowing in!  We love it.  We really don't understand what we have done to deserve such great family and friends.  Don't forget to thank God for what he has given you, what he will do for you today, and what he will do for you in the future.  I know that's what my family prays for everyday.
Thank you Everyone!
Ben

Neuroplasticity

Contrary to common ideas as expressed in this diagram, brain functions are not confined to certain fixed locations.
Neuroplasticity refers to the susceptibility to physiological changes of the nervous system, due to changes in behavior, environment, neural processes, or parts of the body other than the nervous system.[1] The brain changes throughout life.[2]
Neuroplasticity occurs on a variety of levels, ranging from cellular changes due to learning, to large-scale changes involved in cortical remapping in response to injury. The role of neuroplasticity is widely recognized in healthy development, learning, memory, and recovery from brain damage. During most of the 20th century, the general consensus among neuroscientists was that brain structure is relatively immutable after a critical period during early childhood. This belief has been challenged by findings revealing that many aspects of the brain remain plastic even into adulthood.[3]
FROM WIKIPEDIA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity)

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Little Remer Family! Neuroplasticity huh? So now I understand, since I am not gorgeous that is why I'm so witty and smart! You learn something new every day. Want you to know that I am praying for strength for you today.
    Love
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Christine Stephenson. I am Kirsten Momsen's mom. I live in Holiday, FL. Kirsten and Amy know each other from Tiny Purpose. Kirsten called me on Tuesday to tell me about Benzen and to ask me to pray for you and your family. You have been on my heart and in my prayers, without ceasing, since her phone call. The ladies in my Wednesday morning Bible study are all praying for you as well as the couples in my Thursday night Bible study. We know that our heavenly Father is the God of all flesh and there is nothing too difficult for Him! (Jeremiah 32:27) Ben, I am touched by all of your blogs; but, the picture of you and Benzen together and the Father's Eyes' blog was especially touching to me. As I was reading the beautiful conversation between you and Benzen and saw your heart overflowing with unconditional and unselfish love for your son, it struck me that what you wrote is a glorious reflection of God's heart towards you. I can see you looking into the eyes of your heavenly Father saying, "OK Dad, what's next. We've gotten this far. I don't care what it is, we will do it...TOGETHER. And God, his heart overflowing with love for you would say, "tell me all your hopes and all of your dreams and I will get us there." Hold tight to that promise - He WILL get you there. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 49:10. May you and your family find rest and peace in the unfailing love of our Heavenly Father. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Chris

    ReplyDelete