Thursday, May 10, 2012

No news is good news...right?

   I did not even get to see Benzen today.  That is why you get to see a pic of Beyla above.  She comes to visit to her brother an mom.  She is not aloud back in the NICU so we have found places to take her outside the hospital and some fun places in the hospital.  Amy was with Benzen all day and she told me everything was good and quiet today.  He is still under the lights today because his biliruban is still kind of high.  They told Amy that his sodium was high today, so they wanted to make sure he was eating well, which he is.  They ended up adjusting his IV meds to something with little or no sodium in it.  I did not see him today because I worked all day then Amy came home to play with Beyla and I.  Amy was able to have dinner with Beyla and even tuck her in to bed tonight.  Patti and Bummer sat with Benzen while Amy was out.  Today is one week down of our 6 weeks in the NICU.
  I have a story from today.  On my way to work I stopped to get a coffee.  The line was about 5-6 people deep.  Everyone in front of me was complaining about the line, gas prices, the cashier, and more.  When it came to my turn, I put my coffee down and she said"oh, you just have a coffee?  You can have it for free for the wait."  I said "no thank you, I'd like to pay for it because the line was no ones fault."  We fought back and forth in a nice way about the amount to pay.  Eventually she charged me a dollar.  I paid it and then tipped her two dollars.  She got emotional and told me that people are always mean to her there and people do not appreciate what she does there.  She said I made her day and was appreciative that I treated so kindly.  This in turn made my day.  I called Amy to tell her about this and she said that the women was probably trying to "pay it forward" for something someone had done for her in the past.  So really I somehow "one upped" her pay it forward and I didn't mean to and if that is true I would feel bad. 
So for now, no news is good news.
Ben

2 comments:

  1. Hello Little Remer Family! What a cute picture of Beyla. Don't you,love little kids bodies! Ave is 7 and is already out of that look. Funny how time races by on some things and drags for others (6 weeks in NICU). It's good that Amy was able to come home for a bit. I was thinking about Beyla and how she perceives this whole event. You folks are ever present in my heart.
    Love
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,
    It's amazing how the littlest gesture can make such an impact on the outcome of someones day. Whether its a smile from a complete stranger or a polite gesture from another. I hope things brighten up for you and your family. I'm sending thoughts and prayers every night from alabama.

    ReplyDelete